Scope of the Position:
The Avalon SANE Program is a community based model operating within HRM. Accountable to the SANE Program Coordinator, the on-call SANE is responsible for providing medical/forensic examinations to sexual assault victims of all genders and ages. The on-call SANE works as an independent contractor for the Avalon SANE Program, providing care that is consistent with the mission, vision and philosophy/principals of the Avalon Centre. The on-call SANEs role may include but is not limited to: medical/forensic assessment, treatment, evidence collection, documentation, education and training, crisis intervention, collection of statistical data/information, and provision of court testimony as required.
The on-call SANE must be available to respond to sexual assaults for up to eight 12 hour shifts/month and attend regularly scheduled monthly meetings and training sessions as necessary. The SANE must be able to respond to the emergency department at the QEII, DGH, IWK or Cobequid Community Health Centre within one hour following a call and provide their own mode of transportation.
- Registered Nurse with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
- Current and valid registration with the College of Registered Nurses of N.S. in good standing.
- Current certification in BCLS required.
- Successful completion of a recognized sexual assault/forensic nurse program and/or experience in emergency, forensic nursing or women’s health an asset.
- Demonstrated advance practice skills and competence in interpersonal relations, problem solving, communication, patient education, crisis intervention, and dealing with sensitive issues are required.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a collaborative team, often in difficult and stressful situations.
- Knowledge and experience working in a community based organization an asset.
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system an asset.
- Experience and an understanding of sexual assault issues, including societal myths, stereotypes, ethnic-racial differences, and Rape Trauma Syndrome an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a client-centered environment in which diversity and confidentiality is respected.
- Must complete a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check upon hiring.
- Must be available to complete a one (1) day/8 hour on site orientation session in February, followed by a five (5) day/40 hour on site SANE training/classroom orientation at a later date TBD. Clinical Preceptorship will commence immediately for successful candidates.
Rate of pay:
Fee for service. Nurses are paid an on-call fee in addition to an hourly rate of pay in accordance with the RN staff nurse pay rate for actual time spent providing services. Full details will be provided prior to hire.
Please forward resume to:
SANE Program Coordinator
Avalon Sexual Assault Centre
1526 Dresden Row, 4th Floor
Fax # 422-4962
Applications will be considered up to Thursday, January 22nd, 2015. Interviews will be held soon after closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please refer to the website www.avaloncentre.ca for more information.
Avalon Centre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.