Organizational Information: LEA Place Women’s Resource Centre is a feminist non-profit organization that works towards a dual mandate of direct service and social change with women and adolescent girls. The Avalon Sexual Assault Centre is a feminist non-profit organization working to eliminate sexual assault/abuse, and to change the current socio-political culture that fosters sexism, social injustice and other forms of oppression.
Position: Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) Coordinator
This position is part of the Halifax Region Community Support Network Grant funded by the Province of Nova Scotia as part of the Provincial Sexualized Violence Strategy.
Lead Project Organizations: LEA Place Women’s Resource Centre and Avalon Sexual Assault Centre
Position Summary: This is a one year, full time contract position shared by Avalon Sexual Assault Centre and LEA Place Women’s Resource Centre. The Coordinator will be under the direct supervision of the Executive Directors of both organizations and work in collaboration with LEA Place and Avalon Centre staff members. The Coordinator will spend two days/week coordinating the Halifax Sexual Assault Response Team (H-SART) under the leadership of Avalon Centre. Three days/week, the Coordinator will work with LEA Place to develop a Tri-Area (Sheet Harbour, Musquodoboit Valley and Musquodoboit Harbour) Sexual Assault Response Team to build capacity for service providers working with victims of sexualized violence.
- Assume responsibility of the coordination of the H-SART Committee and continue to build relationships with/amongst H-SART members. Coordinate the development and implementation of a Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) in the Tri-Area using the model and best practice from H-SART and others who have developed them and local service providers.
- Develop/Revise Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) across all sectors and strengthen relationships between services and the cultural communities that will include Terms of Reference (ToR)
- Develop and deliver to service providers trauma specific and culturally appropriate intervention support services, training and workshops as needed or appropriate for victims of sexualized violence.
- University degree in Social Sciences, Health Promotion, or Social Work and/or three years of related experience
- Additional education in related areas an asset
- Strong public speaking, experience organizing meetings and delivery of presentations are important
- Training in group facilitation and development
- Research/writing skills and knowledge
- Feminist analysis of issues relating to sexualized violence, inequality, justice issues, violence against women, and other forms of oppression
- Experience working in a non-profit community-based feminist organization an asset
- Experience working with range of service providers including community organizations, health care professionals, legal/law enforcement professionals, etc.
Terms of the Position
- This is a full time contract position from approximately February 2017-March 2018
- Must be available to work a minimum of 35 hours per week with flexibility to work some evenings and weekends as required
- Requires a current Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Search prior to commencement of work. Successful applicant responsible for any costs incurred for these checks
- As a contract worker, the Coordinator can work from home but will be required at times to work from both Avalon Centre and LEA Place and will have access to space, supplies, office equipment etc. at both locations.
- A valid driver’s license, access to a motor vehicle and travel within HRM required.
Deadline for resume and cover letter is February 4th @ 4:00pm. To apply please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be notified.