Avalon Sexual Assault Centre offers specialized, multi-disciplinary professional services to victims of sexualized violence. It also empowers individuals and communities to both prevent and respond to sexualized violence.
Avalon works to understand root causes of sexualized violence and commits to changing the social and political culture that creates and condones it. Avalon then applies that understanding and commitment in all its planning, decision-making and actions.
Avalon works to find solutions for preventing sexualized violence while focusing on moving away from victim blaming toward making sexualized violence a community responsibility. Using a feminist holistic approach that is open, transparent, trauma informed, community-based and flexible, Avalon responds to community needs, builds on assets, forms partnerships and collaborates to effect social and systemic change.
The Fund Developer is responsible for successfully assisting Avalon in expanding their fund development activities and to coordinate cultivation of new donor/funder prospects.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, create and implement a comprehensive fundraising/fund development plan
- Research public and private grant agencies and foundations to identify potential sources of funding
- Manage existing grants by: assisting with tracking grants, developing internal reporting systems, coordinating the submission of reports, working with program staff to ensure each project/program is meeting proposal conditions and expectations
- Work with Avalon’s administrative staff to accurately record, track, acknowledge and receipt donations in a timely manner
- Coordinate cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of existing donors through targeted outreach and communications.
- Identify and coordinate cultivation of new donor/funder prospects
- Plan, create and distribute direct mail appeals
- Manage Avalon’s online fundraising via Canada Helps and annual or one time fundraising campaigns i.e. Giving Tuesday, Denim Day etc.
- Liaise with individuals and organizations interested in hosting third-party activities in support of Avalon
- Develop and implement a strategic major gifts program focused on cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individual donors/funders for major gifts and corporate partners
- Manage the recognition of supporters as laid out in Avalon’s stewardship plans and as pledged to donors
- Monitor local external markets to identify new partnership opportunities
- Take the lead but work in collaboration with other staff members to create Avalon’s annual report and coordinate its distribution to Avalon’s supporters and stakeholders Work with the Executive Director and administrative staff to plan Avalon’s annual AGM and Supporter Appreciation event
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to develop and implement long-term strategic plans for fund development.
- Participate in budget processes together with the Executive Director and key staff
- Work within the mission, values and goals of Avalon Sexual Assault Centre
- Other duties as required
- University degree in commerce/business, marketing, communication/public relations or other related field
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive fund development experience with a successful record of generating revenue growth, implementing fundraising initiatives and working with major gifts
- Excellent management, communication, organization, planning and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook, and Social Media. Graphic design/resource development an asset
- Thorough understanding of CRA rules and regulations
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently
- Flexibility to adapt schedule and work some evenings/weekends occasionally
- Commitment to feminist values and principles
- Familiarity with the communities throughout Nova Scotia
- Experience working in a women’s social services agency an asset
- CFRE designation an asset
- Member in good standing with AFP and/or CAGP an asset
- Current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Criminal Record Check, Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check required
Terms of the Position
This position is a full-time permanent position.
- Must be available to work a minimum of 37 hours per week (Monday – Friday) with some flexibility for evenings and weekends required
- Remuneration will be based upon level of knowledge/experience and requirements of the position
If you want to make a difference for those in our community who have experienced sexualized violence, consider joining the team at Avalon Sexual Assault Centre.
To apply for this position, submit your resume, cover letter, salary expectations, and one writing sample related to your fund development work, no later than July 29, 2016 to:
Attention Jackie Stevens, Executive Director
Fax: (902) 422-4628
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.